Thursday, September 24, 2020

 pp200914 - One Year Remains: Saving Earth’s human and other life sustainability  

By what means can we find ourselves in better condition next year – September 14, 2021? What acts can we perform? How can love be a device? What instruments of love can overcome such fears of attempting to save Earth’s human and other life sustainability?

  We have what it takes

We have everything we need to reverse our progress toward further ending Earth’s human and other life sustainability. What will we do? I will write, but in the back of my mind I know I must not only act by writing, I must act by making videos and sharing them on the Web.
What can I put into words that will inspire others to act, too? Will my writing demonstrate what can be achieved by writing? Words – even in the most effective form – are not enough. Video, no matter how expertly made, won’t do what needs to be done.
Many people think money will solve the problem. I believe we have seen this is not true. Money will not put out the fires burning the west coast of America, or clear away the smoke. Thinking money can do this is like offering money to lemmings not to run into the sea and drown.

Indirect solutions

Watching a movie about playing chess, I recalled that chess was invented to train military strategists the art of war. This is instructive, for we are in several wars today – civil wars inside the USA, and climate wars globally. The enemy is human shortcomings, primarily human emotions. The greatest of these is fear; if the greatest were love, then we would be okay.
One year remains to achieve a love campaign. To the enemy, this is the worst idea. Love is that which brought about the great fears. There’s truth in the expression, “Love conquers all.” However, fear has always leapt into battle gear to put down this as silly, childish, and emotional. Fear looms large at the mention of the word, love.
Fear asks, “Can love put out the fires? Can love reverse global warming?” Of course, love of life can; and love of the Earth can. Love of one’s loved ones can. It’s obvious, one loves one’s own life! One must love oneself if one is to save the Earth’s human and other life sustainability.

How, then?

I love to write. Writing – even if it’s unpolished and poor by artistic, literary, and commercial standards – is my way of organizing and sharing my thinking. I share it in digital form and in books not only to share with other people but to share with my older self when I get t there.
By this I mean I can search back on my computer for what I wrote years ago and, at that time, put on my computer memory retrieval systems. Like a squirrel which hides food for later consumption, I busy myself putting thoughts into digital form for later retrieval – food for thought.
One year from now, will I have occasion to come back to this essay about Love? Will we, that is, humanity, be better off one year from now? What will I have done over the next 365 days?
Three words in the line from the movie, Bridge of Spies, comes back to me: Will it help?

No comments:

Post a Comment