Thursday, January 2, 2020


vi200102 

Screenplay game: A concept in the making  

  How to play the screenplay game 

Yesterday I was laying out forty-eight cards for the adaptation of Rembrandt’s Ghost and wondering how I was going to pay for the upgrade if my screenwriting software – Final Draft. At $100 I don’t have the cash.
There’s a print from 2016 I call Peace print, and it’s never been published. I could offer this art as an incentive – print an edition of ten and sell each proof for $50 and a share in the screenplay outcome – the least of which would be a perfect-bound copy like Swipe.

“Shalom,” intaglio and chine-colle.
Later another idea came to mind – make a game out of writing it, with a deck of cards. Arrange it along the lines of Game of Goose, or Chutes and Ladders, as mentioned in the chapter on Van Leest’s story.
How would it work?
First, it would be on the web that people played this game.
Second, they would play as partners – twosomes according to the timing of their signing-up. In the end they would share the print and the share in the screenplay outcome.
There needs to be an incentive for me, too. I need ten good reasons to undertake printing this print. Can I list ten reasons?
1.      The cash for an upgrade of Final Draft.
2.      The fun of printing-on-demand.
3.      The fun of making this into a game.
4.      The prospect of a screen adaptation of the novel.
5.      The setting up of a daily routine, i.e., printing and writing concurrently.
6.      Incentivizing adaptation by making a game out of it.
7.      Putting myself printing in the window of the Mini Art Gallery.
8.      Seeing the print’s publication through – having started in 2016 and not finishing.
9.      The story of the print itself, hope for “Peace” in the Middle east.
10.  The Act of Creation, as Arthur Koestler put it.

No comments:

Post a Comment