Saturday, June 22, 2019


vp190622 Is this what it’s like to die? All is quiet: 

  I get no emails. No press orders. No comments. Only one Facebook “friend” request. Is this what’s it’s like to die in obscurity – a phrase sometimes found in the annals of art history when an artist or poet, writer or other creative, inventive, discovering and imaginative individual passes?
Or is it, as prefer to think, my mysterious muse’ way of protecting me from entanglements with the distractions that emails, press order and comments on Facebook are to my real tasks of being creative, inventive, discovering and imaginative – in all, a producer of valuable things.
“Be gone, dull care” comes to mind. What? It turns out to be a title of an extraordinary short animation, Evelyn Lambart and Norman McLaren painted colors, shapes, and transformations directly on to their filmstrip. The result is a vivid interpretation, in fluid lines and color, of jazz music played by the Oscar Peterson Trio.
Something my muse dredged up out of my past, a film from the 1960s when I was a junior in college and Ron Carraher was bringing film to my attention. It was like the time Carl Chew and I were playing with video feedback and made the video, “My Father’s Farm from the Moon.”
“So,’ as Elmer Gates said on his deathbed, “this is how it has to be.” Whatever happened to Bill Ritchie and Carl Chew?
“Be gone, dull care.” What did they have in mind when they titled their film? What did Carl Chew and I have in mind? Stories I’d like to tell and, thanks to my freedom, I’m able to tell in my autobiography.
My stories are too long to tell in this age of sound bites and stampedes of people running over cliffs, fearing anything creative, inventive, newly rediscovered and imaginative which has not been vetted to fit on a “smart” phone.
The day after Carl sent me the advice I asked for regarding my Artistscrip idea, I checked out the title of his recommended reading: The art of selling altruism. But it was like the story of the yellow scarf tied ‘round the trees – there were too many books like that. I’m waiting for him to tell me which one to read.
In the meantime, I read one about partnerships for altruism[i], thinking of my strategic alliance with Rewana Nduchwa – my friend from Botswana – whose Kalahari Honey project is my current model. Reading the article, I felt like I could copy-write over it and insert Carl’s and my names into it and come up with a plan to, as I believe it can be done, sell off our legacy for the benefit of our chosen altruistic efforts.

No comments:

Post a Comment